MacExplorer 68K is a little freeware app made by @that-ben that aims to fill a small software gap in the 1990's 68K world in which there was no Windows Explorer-like utility available for System 7. In the late 1990's, there were a couple good Explorer utilities for PowerPC Macs, all of them requiring Mac OS 8.1 or newer and none of them were ever ported back to 68K architecture. MacExplorer 68K should run on any 68K Mac under System 7.1 or newer :)
New features and tweak ideas are welcome!
Version 0.1.6 (2020-12-18)
- Added "Rename" in "Tweak" menu to rename files and folders.
- Fixed a bug with wrong drag and drop row selection/highlighting
- Fixed a bug with wrong origin listbox set when starting drag from un-selected listbox.
- Fixed a bug that would prevent Mac OS menu items (such as [CMD+i]) to work when selecting the right panel.
Version 0.1.5 (2020-12-16)
- Default operations when drag and dropping: on same volume = move; on different volume = copy.
- Added safety before moving/copying items to another volume to make sure there is enough free space.
- Added a window w/ a progress bar animation to let the user know an operation is taking place, asking them to wait.
Version 0.1.4 (2020-12-15)
- Added a "Tweak" button (w/ menu) allowing to lock/unlock/hide/show files/folders and change type/creator codes on files.
- Change type/creator code window has a button allowing the user to instantly mimic another file's type/creator code.
- Reduced number of panels/toolbar redraw calls and spaced them out to 150ms to improve performance on very old Macs.
- Fixed a small display issue that would sometimes draw the focus border on the wrong listbox, now always consistent.
- Fixed a small bug introduced in 0.1.3: Hovering the parent popup menu would set focus to that listbox (undesired).
Version 0.1.3 (2020-12-14)
- Added a popup menu on top of each panel to instantly navigate to any of the selected item's parent folders.
- Right panel can now be automatically covering all the window width; This can be set/saved in the preferences window.
Version 0.1.2 (2020-12-13)
- Added a "Bookmarks" button to open preferences allowing you to set (and save) folder paths in a list.
- Holding down mouse on "Bookmarks" lists all set folders, allowing you to instantly navigate current panel to selected folder.
- Fixed a small bug introduced in 0.1.1: "Open With..." was using left panel instead of right panel until you clicked left panel.
Version 0.1.1 (2020-12-11)
- Added a preferences window, allowing the user to set (and save) a list of "Open With..." applications.
- Holding down mouse on "Launch" now lists "Open With..." applications. The user can open any file with any application.
- You can technically also open volumes/folders with any app now. This is particularly useful with GraphicConverter.
- Added keyboard shortcuts (Launch With Finder [CMD+o], Preferences [CMD+k])
Version 0.1.0 (2020-12-10)
- Right panel can now be switched to a files/folders listing like the left panel, with drag and drop across both panels.
- Added small toggle menu on top/left corner of panels to set options/view mode (show/hide invisible items, folders only, etc).
- Toolbar now has a "Launch" button allowing to open volumes, folders, apps and files with the Finder.
- Holding down mouse on "Launch" pops up a contextual menu for additional options, such as revealing item in Finder.
- You can press TAB on the keyboard to switch between left and right panel. Breadcrumbs and toolbar tied to active panel.
- Both panels default view modes are now to show only visible files and folders (an option to list invisible items can be toggled).
Version 0.0.9 (2020-12-09)
- Trigger functions w/ keyboard shortcuts and Mac OS menus (Copy, Cut, Paste, Delete [CMD+backspace], Get Info [CMD+i])
- Volumes now have a tiny color indicator on their icon: gray = empty, green < 50%, yellow 50-80%, red >80%
- Volumes now show their capacity in MB or GB in the right panel along with their remaining free space.
- Simplified the AppleScript bridge, doesn't need a "Helpers" folder anymore and AppleScript now runs in the background.
Version 0.0.8 (2020-12-08)
- Introducing an AppleScript bridge, unlocking a ton of exciting future features involving System and Finder.
- Toolbar now has a "Get Info" button allowing to bring up Finder's information window about any item, even volumes.
Version 0.0.7 (2020-12-07)
- Toolbar now has "Copy", "Cut", "Paste" and "Delete" buttons. You can queue multiple copy/cut files before you paste!
- Holding down mouse on "Copy" and "Paste" pops up a contextual menu for removing individual queued copy/cut files.
- You can copy, cut and delete folders like "deltree". All commands recursively process all the sub-folders and files inside.
- Moving or pasting files/folders checks for existing items with the same name, asking you to rename or skip duplicates.
- Main window can now be resized with the lower/right standard handle or maximized using the standard top/right button.
Version 0.0.6 (2020-12-06)
- Introducing a toolbar with standard browser "Back", "Parent", "Forward" and "Refresh" buttons (more coming soon).
- Holding down mouse on "Back", "Parent" and "Forward" pops up a contextual menu for direct history navigation (20 steps).
Version 0.0.5 (2020-12-05)
- Launch apps and files by double clicking them in the left panel.
- Dragging a file or folder now displays the item being dragged as an icon and a name instead of a little square.
- Added more basic file information about the selected item in the right panel, such as creation date, locked status and size.
- Fixed small performance issues, e.g. right panel was uselessly redrawing a bunch of times in a row when opening a big folder.
- Fixed a small annoyance when you dragged and dropped a folder onto itself, it would expand/collapse. Now it remains as is.
Version 0.0.4 (2020-12-04)
- Apps listed in the left panel now show their own color icon! (B&W and document icons are not supported yet.)
- Files and folders can now be dragged to other volumes (this removes the item from original volume)
- Right panel was remade using a canvas instead of a list, which allows graphics. Now showing item's large icon.
- Selected item's full path now appears as individual clickable navigation bread crumbs on top of the right panel.
Version 0.0.3 (2020-12-03)
- Left panel now automatically enlarges to fit widest list names when exploring, up to a max of 50% of the screen.
- Hidden files and folders are now displayed in gray text instead of black.
- Left panel automatically regains keyboard focus after half a second when it loses it to allow arrow keys to continually work.
- Fixed minor selection display glitches (e.g. last hovered file/folder would stay highlighted after invalid drag and drop)
Version 0.0.2 (2020-12-02)
- Left panel now lets you drag and drop files and folders (not volumes) which moves them IRL.
- A confirm dialog window asks you before actually moving files.
- No dependancy on QuickTime at all (v0.0.1 required QuickTime for displaying icons).
- Fixed a crash that would happen on corrupted HFS partitions that have files with unset modification dates.
Version 0.0.1 (2020-12-01)
- List all volumes mounted on the Mac at the time of launching this app in the left panel.
- Browse all files and folders in real time (every time you open a folder, it reads again) regardless of their Mac OS visibility attribute.
- Display very basic information about any file or folder in the right panel by clicking on it in the left panel.
- Drag handle allows the user to divide screen with left and right panels to desired width.
- Vertical scrollbar appears when left panel is full to allow scrolling down.
- Automatically goes pseudo fullscreen on launch.
- Left panel subfolders and files can be browsed using arrow keys on the keyboard: [right] expands a folder, [left] collapses it.
(313.88 KiB / 321.42 KB)
MacExplorer 68K v0.0.1 / compressed w/ Stuffit
(322.74 KiB / 330.49 KB)
MacExplorer 68K v0.0.2 / compressed w/ Stuffit
(326.21 KiB / 334.04 KB)
MacExplorer 68K v0.0.3 / compressed w/ Stuffit
(332.86 KiB / 340.85 KB)
MacExplorer 68K v0.0.4 / compressed w/ Stuffit
From Mac OS 7.1
up to Mac OS 9.2
Architecture: 68K (68030 or faster)
- Version 0.0.1 to 0.0.5: At least 1.2MB of free RAM
- Version 0.0.6 and up: At least 1.6MB of free RAM because of toolbar icons
- Version 0.0.8 and up: At least 1.7MB of free RAM because of AppleScript integration
- Version 0.1.0 and up: At least 1.8MB of free RAM because of dual panel drag and drop
- (More free RAM may be required if you list a ton of files at once.)
Mac OS 7.1 - Mac OS 9.2.2
Note: Version 0.0.8 and up requires the AppleScript extension to be active. Without it, functionalities such as the "Get Info" button will do nothing.
Emulating this? It should run fine under: Basilisk II